Sunday, March 2, 2014

Homemade Apple Crostata

When my girl was young, she hated apple pie.... I tried many times to get her eat but she just did not like it.  I have no idea why because it is so delicious.  One day I was watching a cooking show by Ina Garten.  She was baking Apple Crostata. I was immediately captured by the look of the tart.  Crostata is an Italian baked tart in the form of pie.  The following day, I decided to try out the recipe and to my surprise, my girl ate!!!!  I was so delighted and since then, Apple Crostata has become our frequent visitor to the kitchen :)



Apple Crostata

For the pastry

1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tbsp superfine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
113g cold unsalted butter, diced
2 tbsp ice water


Filling

3 large apples
1/4 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 cup flour
1/4 superfine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
58g cold unsalted butter, diced                                                                                    




1. For pastry, place flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, combine. (You can use food processor. I just use a spatula) Add butter. (I use mixer for this part) when its crumbly, add ice water. Combine well but do not over beat. 

2. Turn the dough onto a well floured board and form into a disk. (Try to do a flat surface disk. This makes the rolling easier later. Ensuring the dough will be even in thickness)

3. Wrapped with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

4. Preheat oven at 230° 

5. Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11" circle on a lightly floured surface. (Do not over work the dough) Transfer it to a baking sheet.

6. For filling, cut apples into wedges. Toss apples with orange zest. Cover the tart dough with apple leaving 1 1/2" border. 

7. Combine flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix well then add butter. Use your clean fingers to rub til holding together and crumbly. 

8. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the bolder over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle.

9. Bake 20 - 25 mins.


Anyone who loves apples tarts, apple pie should try this recipe.  It is amazing!!

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment