Sunday, September 22, 2013

Porridge in Mushroom Stock & Steamed Sesame Chicken

I think the most stressful part as a mother is when children fall sick. Lotte is having 
fever and I feel like screaming out loud!!!!! Justin and I just recovered from our cough and now its Lotte's turn!!! Never ending musical chair. I hate musical chair game since I have children. It is exact feeling when it rains after I got the car washed and had it polished!!!!! Arghhhhh........ i am cursing and swearing really. 

Alright, get things straight Adriana. No point pulling hair......only cause more hair fall. Do what l have to do as a mom. Nurse my baby!!!! Before I can do anything, my helper, Lin told me she is sick as well. Worse nightmare ever.....it is not even Halloween!!!!! What luck. Now I have two to nurse. 

The moment i am done with my lessons, i started boiling stock. Cannot decide on what stock for the porridge at dinner..... chicken, pork or just vegetable stock??? Oh boy..... i found some Shitake stems.....big bag !!!! Decided to make mushroom chicken stock. I am a mushroom fanatic. Love love mushrooms, any type!! I am also making pumpkin and broccoli porridge for kiddos. Yucks???? If any kids are reading this, or mommies, tell kids don't freak!!!! My Justin slurp slurp away during dinner. Trust me, the porridge is thumbs up!!!!!


Mushroom Chicken Stock                        

20 mushroom stems
Some chicken bone ( I kept the neck, feet and bone from previous chicken dish i made and freeze them)
a small bunch of Wolfberries, soaked
2 carrots, roughly chopped
a small bunch of ikan billis, washed and drained
about 2L of water or slightly more (depending on how much ingredients you add)

1. Put all ingredients into a pot and boil.once boiled, reduce heat and let it simmer for about an hour or more.


Note: There is no rules to making stocks. You do it the way you want and how you want. Just remember, do not let it boil till bubble. Once boiled, let it simmer. Boil under low heat. The flavor is much better.


Pumpkin Broccoli Porridge             


1/4 pumpkin (shredded)
1 small broccoli (shredded)
2 tbsp shallot oil ( optional)
1 cup rice, washed
1L stock

1. Put all ingredients into a pot and boil (I used the stock I made).

2. Once boiled, reduce to simmer and stir occasionally to prevent rice sticking to bottom of the pot.

3. Once rice turn soft, off fire and covered. Let it sit for 15 mins and porridge is ready.


Note: There is no rules to cooking porridge as well. This measurement of liquid for our porridge is how we like it at home. You can adjust to the texture and way you like.


This porridge is so flavoured and best for sick family members because it has so much goodness in it.

At the same time I steamed some chicken to go with our porridge.  As much as I love vegetables, I cannot imagine how to have dinner without some meat :P


Steamed Sesame Chicken                                  

1 small chicken, chopped into bite size
1 tbsp ginger, sliced thinly
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce


1. Mixed all ingredients together with chicken and let it marinate till you are ready to steam. At least an hour or more.

2. Arrange chicken on a plate. In a wok boiled water for steaming, place a metal rack in it. Once water boiled, place the plate of chicken on the rack. Covered and steam for 15-20 mins. To check for doneness, inset a chopstick into the thickest piece of chicken. If it goes through smoothly then chicken is cooked.

3. Serve hot with porridge or rice.


Note: I sometimes use rice cooker to steam chicken because its fast and no hassle. 

Kiddos love the chicken gravy on the vegetable porridge. And it sure does not taste or look terrible with the broccoli in the porridge :p 

Testimony from Justin, 'Mom, this is the best porridge ever!!!'







No comments:

Post a Comment