Thursday, September 19, 2013

Braised Rock Sugar Pork

Rock sugar aka Rock candy aka Bing Tang is originally from Iran!!! Hmm am I ignorant or its just a fact that generally people do not know??  Well at least I learnt something recently.  

Yummmm is the word to me in anything with rock sugar. I remember I will sneak to the cupboard in kitchen when I was young to 'steal' one or two rock sugar and pop them into my mouth.....Mmmm Mmmm yummm..... Love them in dessert, drinks, even food like meat dishes.  One of my favourites is this Rock sugar pork ribs.  

Confidently thought I have some ribs stocked away in my freezer but could not find any except for pork shoulder butt. Oh well, this is me, sometimes a sotong.  Since I dont have ribs, I thought I will just make do with the butt....yes love the butt as well :P No oil is needed in this recipe. Healthy and simply delicious.


Braised Rock Sugar Pork

Pork Shoulder Butt ( I bought $5 of it from the wet market and stored it in freezer)
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
dash of pepper
1/2 cup water
bunch of rock sugar (depend on how sweet and thick you like)



1. Cut shoulder butt into small bite size.

2. In a big bowl, add five spice, sesame oil, light soy sauce, and pepper.  Covered and marinate for an hour or overnight.

3. Heat the wok and brown pork.  Add dark sauce, water and rock sugar.

4. Once gravy is boiled, let it simmer and braise the pork for about 15 mins or till gravy is thicken.

5. Serve hot with garlic sprinkle (optional) d rice.

NOTE : If i am using pork ribs, i will just marinate it with a slice of crushed pineapple (the pineapple marinated pork ribs will be super tender) for least an hour and go straight to step 3.  

It is a must try dish if you have children.  My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the gravy on rice.  One plate of rice is never enough with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment