Friday, August 30, 2013

Sunny Face Ramen

It is been long I have not cook lunch for kids. Its always same kind of lunch if my helper cooks. So I thought maybe I make ramen today. Lotte's favourite  But somehow i overlooked on timing...... it was time to fetch Justin from Pathlight. Rushed to school and waited for him. While chatting with other mommies, Justin appeared behind me and hugged me. He started squeezing my shoulders and arms. I knew immediately something was wrong. As I couldn't see his face, i asked my friend if he was smiling behind my back and she said yes but i was not convinced. I was pretty sure he was not feeling ok. Justin is autistic and i know he has been exercising self control and self regulate his emotion when he is in public. If he is upset, i will be his 'stress ball'. He will start squeezing and twisting my arms or shoulders. Sometimes he will pinch me. PAINFUL!!!! At least he is not screaming or crying in public. I just tolerate the 'silent treatment' but I know this cannot go on for long. He is growing stronger and one day he will break my arms!!! Am waiting for a friend to pass me her stress ball. For now i tolerate. There was no way I can make him open up and tell me what happened in school so I let him cry hard in the car while we drove home.  I told him to cry as much as he wants ......he looked hurt :( Then I thought ok I will make him a nice lunch to cheer him up before I talk to him. Food is his favourite thing in the whole wide world. Mommy is his favourite person in the whole wide world!!! :-)

We stepped into the house, I had him washed his hands and passed him a soft toy.  Got him sit down on the sofa and he can squeeze the toy as much and as hard as he wants.  I then stepped into the kitchen.  Looking at the ingredients I have in the fridge and I ponder......  what else can i add to the Ramen to cheer him up.... ah BACON!!!! So there it goes.....my Ramen recipe.  




Sunny Face Ramen

a pack of Ramen noddle
4 strips of Streaky bacon (cut into pieces)
1 shredded carrot
a big piece of lettuce (sliced into small strip)
fishcake (cut into bite size cubes and boil)
1 egg (poached or pan fry)
fired garlic (can be bought from supermart)
2 tbsp Japanese sesame sauce
1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce (soup base)
2 tbsp cooking oil/Olive oil
1 tbsp of bacon oil


1. Fry the bacon pieces in hot oil until bacon is brown and crispy.  Scope bacon out from pan and drain on kitchen towel.  Reserve the bacon oil for noodle.

2. Break the egg and pan fry in hot oil to make sunny side up.  Put aside.

3. In a serving bowl or plate, mix sesame sauce, soy sauce bacon oil together.  

4. Cook Ramen according to package instruction. Once done, drain noodle and pour Ramen into prepared sauce immediately.  Mix well.

5.  In the middle of the bowl, place the egg and surround the egg with carrot, lettuce, fishcake and reserved bacon.  Sprinkle fried garlic on top of the egg.

Done and ready to tuck in!!!

I was so relief that Justin loves it!!!  He ran to me with a big smile and gave me a big bear hug and said Thank You mommy for the lunch.  Nothing makes my day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment