Saturday, August 31, 2013

Sticky Sweet Pork

It is never easy being a parent. It is even more tough being a single mother. It is constant struggle and never ending stress. Five years ago when we first moved out of the family home, it was a nightmare. Life was so tough and I was seriously broke every now and then. To put up a brave front in front of others and family was a tough job. I spent many nights crying alone. Others who saw me laugh and smile did not know what i was going through. Rental of our first home, daily expenses, helper's pay etc.....everything on me. I am blessed I have beautiful family and friends to support me but I was too proud to admit how broke and how tough life was for me. At the same time I have to take care of the children's emotional wellbeing, created a lively and happy family environment for them not wanting them to feel diffirent from their peers. Then was Justin's schooling to stress about. To put him through mainstream to satisfy my ego as a parent fooling myself that my boy is able to cope with studies OR to admit that he does need special education. The catch is, to have him in special school means I have to pay high price and can I afford it???? ........ I am glad I made the right choice to placed him in Pathlight eventually. 

Then are the meals I have to serve everyday. There are times I did not even have enough money to buy groceries. Meals are usually simple. One of the dishes we always eat was this sticky pork dish I learnt from my mom. Cheap, tasty, simple. No matter how tough life is, I will never compromise my children's needs. Proper care and nice food is a must. My children are my life.

Now looking back, I am so glad I braved through. I guess being a naturally happy go lucky person helps me alot. I am the nut case in many friends' eyes. The super blur and always smiling Adriana, the 'laughing biscuit' in some friends' eyes. You know who you are ladies :p

I am going to share my ever popular Sticky Pork recipe today.





Sticky Sweet Pork

Shoulderbutt pork (a tray from supermart)
4-6 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
pepper (your preference on the amount)
1 tbsp corn flour
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
4 tbsp cooking oil (or your choice on the amount of oil you use for deep frying)


1. Sliced the pork into thin strip (slice against the grain)
2. Marinate pork with sugar, light soy sauce, pepper, corn flour and sesame oil. Let it sit in fridge for an hour or overnight.  
3. Heat oil in a wok.  Pour meat into wok in batches if using a small frying wok. (do not overcrowd the wok)
4. Fry til golden brown and serve hot with rice.



Note: In the picture above, I cooked plain rice with some butter and chopped capsicum and some salt to taste.  
  
This dish is Charlotte's favourite.  Never fail to put a smile on her face and I shared this recipe with a friend, Christine because her children love it!!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment