Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Har Cheong Gai ( Shrimp Paste Chicken)

I search and search for ideas for chicken dishes one day and chance upon this recipe, Har Cheong Gai (Shrimp Paste Chicken).  Many of us grow up with this chicken dish.  My childhood favourite whenever we go for zhi char dinner with family.  I am sure it will not taste exactly the same if I make it at home.  However, with a party coming up, I am determine to make it.  Clever people will tell me Never Ever experiment new recipe for a party but I guess I may not be so clever hahahahhaa  Verdict.... children are asking for more after they tried it.  So this is the second time I am making this dish.


Har Cheong Gai

1 kg Chicken Mid Wings
3 Tbsp Shrimp paste
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp Chinese Wine
1 tsp white pepper

80g plain flour
80g potato starch
1 egg
100ml water
1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1/4 tsp baking powder


1. Mix chicken with Shrimp paste, sugar, sesame oil, wine and pepper. Make sure chicken are well coated. 

2. In another big bowl, mix plain flour, potato starch, egg, water, bicarb and baking powder.  Beat batter till smooth. Add the batter into the chicken mixture. Marinate for 8 hrs or up to 2 days.

3.  Heat oil to 180 degree celsius and gently adding in a few wings.  Use chopsticks to separate the wings after about half a minute so they do not stick together.  After about 1 minute, the oil temperature should have dropped to 160 degree celsius if not lower the heat.  Fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.

4. Ready to serve!!! (Serve with lime or sweet chilli sauce if you like)


Note:  The recipe called for MSG so it will taste like real deal.  I will not use MSG at home so I opt this ingredient out.


No comments:

Post a Comment