Monday, October 21, 2013

Crispy Okra

I am back!!!!  Been away from blog for couple of weeks.  So busy with so much things going on in my life.  Glad to be finally able to sit down and write again.  Challenging life lately. meals at home is a little upside down. Still, I try to cook almost everyday.  To have to come up with dishes for kids is not easy.....I am talking about dishes they like. Sometimes I do not know what exactly they want.  I can cook a new dish today and they said they love it because it is sooooo yummilicious then the next round when I cook it again, they ask, no new dish????  Hey kids, I am not a stay home mom and have all the time to invent new dishes all the time!!! 

I love vegetables, to get them eat all sorts of vegetables is like going through storm when they were younger.  Still I am proud to say I succeeded in this because I made them eat even if they do not like.  My mom called me 'Stepmom'.  Once to make Justin eat Chye Sim, I minced the whole bunch of Chye Sim and dump into the rice cooker with some butter.  At dinner, you can imagine Justin's horror look when he saw that his rice that night was GREEEN!!!!...... I controlled myself not to laugh but he looked so funny.  Now my kiddos eat quite a good range of vegetables.  Xiao Bai Cai,Chye Sim, Kai Lan, Lettuce, long beans, potatoes, Spinach and KangKong (their favourite). Not too bad I thought.  

My next aim is to get them eat assorted vegetables, one of the biggest challenge is Lady's Fingers aka Okra.  Slimy texture is a no-no for them.  I thought for long time and I came out with this recipe.  Simple and no hassle.  I tried and it was a hit!!! Though might not be the most ideal way to introduce healthy vegetables but at least they know that vegetables can be eaten in interesting ways.  Here is the recipe I learnt few years back from an indian friend. Dont quite remember the complete one but I just go with the flow with my own touch.  As long as kiddos eat, all is well!!!


Crispy Okra                                                      

A bunch of Okra (about 2 cups) - Wash and dry each Okra then cut into bite size       
1 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp corn flour


1. Marinate Okra with turmeric, soy sauce and salt.

2. Let it stand for about 20mins

3. Heat up oil in a wok for deep frying.  Stir in corn flour just before frying the Okra.

4. Once oil is hot, add Okra into oil in batches so they wont overcrowd the wok. It will leaves space for the greenies to crisp up.

5. Fry for a few minutes till they are crispy.  Scope them out from the wok and drain off excess oil and let them cool.

6. Continue with second batch and repeat same steps.

7.  Serve with rice and other dishes.


Note:  You might want to wear a glove or have a plastic bag on your hand or just use a fork to mix the turmeric with Okra unless you dont mind yellow hands that will stay with you for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment