Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Braised Pork Belly

I am no well again!! My cough miss me and is currently here for visit.  Cant wait to send it off...... :( Since young mom said no chicken, no cold drinks, no bananas, no oranges etc when I have cough.  
So I decided to cook pork again!!!!  Yes pork..... have been eating so much fish and pork for past few weeks because Justin and I have been coughing.  Braised Pork Belly came to my mind.  I think of mom every time I braised pork.  Her braised pork belly is the best but I have my own variation.  I think if she can understand English and read my recipe, she will sure disapprove.  Well, time change!!!  


Braised Pork Belly

1 piece of pork belly (usually comes in a tray in supermart)
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
a pinch of five spice powder
10 cloves of garlic with skin - mashed it 
1 big shallots (small onion) - roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
100ml water


1. Wash and pat dry pork belly.  Mix soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, five spice powder together and marinate pork belly.  Marinate for about an hour or even over night. 

2. Heat frying pan with oil and add in garlic, shallot, star anise, cinnamon and cloves.  Saute for 1 min or until fragrance.  Remove from stove.

3.  Transfer the spices mix into a clay pot or braising pot.  Add in marinated pork belly with marinate juice and water.

4.  Let it boiled and simmer for 30 mins.  Turn the pork over and continue to braise for another 30 mins or til tender.  Check water in between, add little bit more if water dries up.

5. If there is remaining gravy inside, transfer to another small pan.  Heat it up and add a little corn starch water to thicken. (This is optional)

6.  Take pork out of pot and let if cool for 10 mins before cutting it.

Note:  I like to leave the braised pork in the pot for another 15 mins after I off fire.  

Enjoy!!!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment